Monday, March 28, 2011

Should English Be Declared the Official Language of the United States?

I'm probably going to get some flack on my opinion on this topic. How many times do I need to hear "push two for Spanish"? This is America where we speak English. Our government makes it way too easy for immigrants to function in their native languages through bilingual education, multilingual ballots and driver's license exams not to mention government-funded translators in schools and hospitals.



In my travels to Europe and other countries most people in those countries know English. Why can't our citizens be required to know English. My father and his family were Polish immigrants and my grandparents made them speak English outside of the home as they were no longer in Poland they were in America. It was fine for them to speak Polish inside the home.


I think it is a respect issue if you live in America you should speak English. As an American if I am traveling to a different country perhaps France I purchase a travel dictionary. I do this so I atleast try to speak that language. Again, it is out of respect.



After all English is an international language why shouldn't we speak it in America?

Todd Marciniak

No comments:

Post a Comment